Q&A about specific skills

We've put together some frequently asked questions.


How do you get a “qualification” (specific skill)?

It is necessary to pass a skill test and Japanese proficiency (N4 level).
It takes about 6 months to study Japanese and acquire skills.
There are 14 industries (1) Nursing care, 2) Building cleaning, 3) Material industry, 4) Industrial machinery manufacturing, 5) Electrical and electronic information related industry, 6) Construction, 7) Shipbuilding, 8) Automobile maintenance, 9) Aviation, 10) Accommodation, 11) Agriculture, 12) Fishery, 13) Food and beverage manufacturing industry, 14) restaurant industry) are covered. However, among the above 14 occupations, examinations are being conducted in the Philippines for ① Nursing care ② Building cleaning ③ Material industry ④ Industrial machinery manufacturing industry ⑤ Electrical and electronic information related industry ⑥ Construction ⑦ Shipbuilding ⑧ Automobile maintenance ⑨ Aviation ⑩ Accommodation ⑪ Agriculture ⑫ Fishery ⑬ Food and beverage manufacturing industry ⑭ Food service industry.


What is your salary?

It varies depending on the type of work you do.
The salary is equal to or higher than that of Japanese people.


What are the specific skills fields that are relatively easy to collect in the Philippines?

Nursing care, restaurant business, food and beverage manufacturing, and lodging fields that match the national character of the Philippines are relatively easy.
For your information, as of September 2020, the fields in which skill tests have been implemented or are scheduled to be implemented in the Philippines are nursing care, automobile maintenance, agriculture, restaurant industry, food and beverage manufacturing, building cleaning, shipbuilding, ship industry, aviation, and fisheries.


In the case of specific skills, the number of days required from interview to passing the test, from passing the test
I would like to know the approximate number of days required to arrive in Japan.

It takes about 6 months from the interview to passing the exam.
It takes about six months from passing the exam to coming to Japan.


Is it possible to transition to a specific skill (SSW) during a specific activity?

Is possible. If you have successfully completed Technical Intern Training Nos. 1 and 2 (total of 3 years) and your specific skill field/work corresponds to the type of technical intern training, you can transfer without taking an exam. If not, you will need to pass the proficiency test (exempt from the Japanese language proficiency test for specific skills).


Trainees silently go to supervising organizations and training implementing organizations to specific skills
trying to migrate. What should I do now?

As a national policy, the Philippine government sends its citizens abroad as workers.
From the perspective of protecting our own citizens, we ascertain the whereabouts and workplaces of Filipinos living abroad, including technical intern trainees, through the Philippine embassy/consulate general in Japan and our official sending agency.
If a trainee moves to a specific skill without permission while living in Japan, it will be difficult not only to grasp the location etc. You may not be able to provide support, such as contacting family members who live in your home. There is a possibility that the responsibility of the supervising organization and the accepting company will be questioned, and it will not be possible to accept Filipinos.
There is a possibility that the trainee himself may be suspended from re-departing to Japan when he temporarily returns to the Philippines because he did not take procedures related to sending organizations in the Philippines when transitioning to specific skills without permission.


How long is the period of stay?

In the case of Specified Skilled Worker No. 1, it is renewed every 1 year or 6 months, 4 months, and the total is up to 5 years. Specific skills No. 2 are renewed every 3 years or 1 year, every 6 months, and there is no upper limit.


Are there any fields where temporary employment is allowed?

There are two fields: agriculture and fisheries. The other 12 fields are direct hires.


Is there a maximum number of people that can be accepted?

Only in the nursing care field, it is stipulated that "the total number of full-time employees is the upper limit for each business establishment." The other 13 fields have no upper limit.